Wednesday, 25 November, 2020

Belarus disavows UN data on four dead during protests

Belarus disavowed the data, which was previously confirmed by the UN, about four people who died during the protests in the Republic. A spokeswoman for the Belarusian interior Ministry told RIA Novosti that the Agency did not confirm such information to the UN.

Earlier, the official representative of the Office of the United Nations high Commissioner for human rights (OHCHR), Elizabeth Trossell, said that the Belarusian interior Ministry confirmed the death of four people during the protests.

“My colleagues informed me that the Ministry of internal Affairs has confirmed four separate deaths,” she said, adding that the OHCHR has asked to investigate the deaths.

Earlier, the Belarusian interior Ministry reported hundreds of reports of missing people. Since the day of the presidential election in Belarus, which took place on August 9, citizens of the country have filed hundreds of appeals to the police about the disappearance of relatives and friends, the Ministry said.

Protests in Belarus continue for the second week. People demand to cancel the results of the elections, according to which Alexander Lukashenko won, to dismiss the old leadership and hold new elections, as well as to hold the security forces accountable for the violent crackdown on rallies in the first days